Key features you should be looking for in blue collar management software
It’s easy to get lost among the many features that blue collar software can offer. It can be overwhelming. To help, note what features you think are business-critical before you even look at and compare software vendors. This will help form your selection criteria.
Here are some of the key capabilities that you should be looking for when selecting blue collar management software, so that you can make sure you’re investing in the right solution for your business.
Advanced search and save capability
Here’s the typical hiring criteria for a surveyor:
- Relevant tertiary qualification
- Demonstrated experience working in the building and civil construction sector
- Ability to use relevant software, including AutoCAD, LISCAD and 12D Civil Cad
- Proficient relevant equipment, including Leica Robotic Total Station, Trimble and GPS
- Skilled in preparing, interpreting and maintaining plans, maps, sketches, charts, files and legal reports of surveys
With advanced search capability, save yourself time and money wasted on advertising and find qualified candidates that are already in your database based on the above search criteria. Then save your search ready for the next surveyor role, reducing time to fill even further. Plus, mark a preferred candidate for next time.
Be ready for the next client job request and set up a job template for common jobs, including:
- Pre-configured shifts to find candidates based on availability and also pre-populate candidates timesheets for faster approval
- Pre-configure agreement pay rates so you can see your expected gross profit before you even place candidates
- Pre-configure required skills and qualifications that links to comprehensive search so you can find the right candidates and fill jobs faster
As an example your job order template for a plumber could include:
- Registered plumber (plumbing apprenticeship completed and a certificate III in Plumbing)
- Plumbing Contractor’s license, Trades person’s Licence or accreditation from relevant state authority
- Other relevant qualifications and licenses such as Electrical Licence
- Knowledge of safety and PPE requirements in industrial environments
- Skills with required tools/equipment
- Normal operating days/shifts
- Timesheet details
- Jobs rates and wage costs
- Internal referral workflow stages required to review candidates and fill the job
Are you ready to take advantage of this? You’ll know a blue collar recruitment system is catered for growth if it has an in-built hierarchical structure to match both your organisation and finance requirements. It means you can scale and grow from a small business to multi-region enterprise without outgrowing the software.
Make sure your system can meet your future growth needs, whether that be opening a new office, launching a new brand or even expanding internationally – this should not come at an additional cost. Plus, to stand-out make sure you can provide invoices to your clients the way they want. This could be by parent, client, cost centre or project code for example.
Online portals for candidates & clients
Your own online branded portals, accessible 24/7, set you apart and make connecting with your workforce seamless. With the flexibility to show the data you want, you can provide next level self-service to your candidates to manage their profile and availability, view applications and jobs, manage online timesheets, view payslips and apply for leave. Plus, save time with automated email reminders for your workers to enter and submit their timesheets, and for clients to approve them from their own portal, ready to be translated into payroll.
No tech is perfect so ensure you’re investing in a future-proof system where you’ll get continual support from a dedicated team, ongoing training and education opportunities, plus development designed for the recruitment industry to keep you competitive